Wednesday, March 25, 2009

In the Shower Last Night


My mind was wandering and I started to think of George Carlin, he usually cracked me up. (and yes, I do know the 7 words) The only thing that really bothered me was his negativity about religion. He did get cranky in his old age.





And then there is John Lennon, "Imagine no religion."





If churches and sects would understand and practice, as James says, "pure religion" it would be a much kinder and safer world. Is this just a Christian concept or is it more universal?


James 1:26-27
26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Religion has been used as a rationale to inflict unimaginable cruelty upon peoples and nations but there is a time to fight, in a violent way if necessary to protect those things that are most important. I like Captain Moroni.
"In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children."
(he knew what was important)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have this "pre-crying" state, where my nose starts to hurt on the inside. It is very painful. Your post made my nose hurt, you big dummy. Then I had to wipe tears away anyway. Why can't I just skip the painful nose and cut straight to the tears?

I love Captain Moroni. He knew when it was time to stand up for what was right. He knew how to mobilize the troops and get people to believe in what was right and get up off their backsides to act upon the spirit! In short, he knew how to do what I do not. Why can't I have that gift.

Fighting in the name of peace! Fighting in the name of our children! Nobody thinks twice about fighting in the defense of our freedom, but why not fight in defense of our children?

God bless Moroni! He's my hero. He's why I have a tattoo. It is surely misguided in some ways, but it is my title of liberty, permanently etched on my skin. In memory of my God, my religion, my religion and my peace, my husband, and my children.